Have you recently launched a website or started a blog? Are you checking Google Analytics, Webmaster Tools, and your social media stats daily?
If you answered yes to the first question, you also more than likely answered yes to the second question and you may be frustrated if you’re not seeing instant results.
It seems like it’s impossible to turn around without hearing something about search engine optimization (aka how to get found on Google), blogging, or social media marketing. Nearly every article that is published promotes the fact that businesses need to have a website and should be creating and promoting content so they can rise to the top of the search engine results.
The one thing they rarely talk about is the that it takes time and persistence to make it happen. It’s not magic and it won’t happen overnight. There are over 30 trillion individual pages on the internet and it’s constantly growing. Google and Bing have a huge job when it comes to finding every page, figuring out what the page is about, and keeping track of it all.
When you type a search phrase into Google’s search box, they use algorithms to find and deliver links to the most relevant pages in the search results. They use over 200 factors to rank the results and things like site and page quality count for a lot. In order to show up in the search results your website needs to have a good reputation.
It takes time to build an online reputation with the search engines. The age of a domain is one of the factors search engines take into consideration when they are ranking a site. In other words they take a look at how long www.yourbusiness.com has been around. With websites popping up faster than weeds in my front garden, it’s an important part of the equation, but only part of it.
There are many things you can do to help the search engines (and people) find your website.
How to Get Found on Google
- Create and add content to your website or blog – (if you don’t have a blog start one) – yes it’s true that there are a lot of blogs out there and you may be asking why the world needs one more blog and how it will help you get found on Google. There are more still more people than blogs and it can help increase your reach. Three reasons to create a blog:
- Websites with a blog get more traffic, leads, and sales.
- The content on your blog establishes you as an authority in your niche.
- It gives you something to promote in your social networks.
- Find the words (keywords) people use when they search for the products or services you sell and use them in your content.
- Promote your content through social networks – this doesn’t directly help you get found on Google, but it does increase your exposure and there are some indirect benefits to SEO (search engine optimization).
- Find websites that have a good reputation and are related to your industry and ask them to link to you. (another reason to have good content on your site, you want to give them a reason to want to link to you.
- Understand the basics of social media marketing and have a plan.
- If you have a local business make sure you claim your listings and have a Google Plus page.
- Take charge of your SEO – search engine optimization is not something that’s done once and forgotten, it requires ongoing attention.
It will take some time but if you follow these tips and you will be successful and those graphs will start showing an increase in traffic and more importantly, you’ll start seeing an increase in leads and revenue.
I think the most important advice I can share is the following:
- Be patient
- Be consistent
- Be persistent
- Be informed