It’s true that SEO is largely done through the use of incorporating keywords your target audience uses to search the internet, but in order to be successful when it comes to optimizing a website it’s important to understand all of the components that contribute to a successful search engine optimization strategy.
SEO today is about more than keywords and links (it always has been). SEO is still the process of optimizing web pages to get “free” traffic from the search engines, but it’s also a lot more. It’s about integrating with the other internet marketing strategies such as social media marketing, content marketing, Pay Per Click (PPC), blogging, and website design.
3 Key SEO Success Factors
1. Well structured and easy to navigate website
- Your website should be organized in a hierarchy that makes it easy for visitors and search engines to understand and follow the relationships between the pages of the website.
- Pages within the navigation should be labeled in a clear fashion and when possible include important keywords.
- Relevant – is related to the products and services sold on the website.
- Quality – error free and grammatically correct.
- Unique – has not been published on another site.
- Content that appears on the internet in more than one URL is considered to be duplicate content. This is problematic because it’s difficult for search engines to decide which version is more relevant. Search engines will rarely show duplicate pieces of content, so they pick one to show, which is most likely to be the original version. The website with the duplicate content gets no value from it, and may in fact be devalued by the search engines as a result of the duplicate content.
- Fresh – search engines reward websites that frequently update and add new content
3. Internal and External Links
- External Links – back links are links that come to your site from another website – a link from one site to another is like a ‘vote’ for that site and it sends Google and the other search engines a positive signal about the website and its credibility.
- Internal Links – the linking structure within your own site and how those links are written and displayed.
- Content Distribution – promoting content through various channels including social media networks to increase visibility.
- Keywords – using the terms and phrases that your target audience uses when searching for the services and/or products you offer on your website.
Search engine optimization isn’t rocket science but as you can see there are many moving parts.
If you’re interested in more information on how to implement a successful search engine optimization strategy, you’ll enjoy reading these articles as well.
- How to Optimize Images for SEO
- How to Optimize Videos for SEO
- How to Get Found On Google: Tips for a new Blogger or Website Owner
- What is a backlink? – Optimizing External Links
- SEO in a World of Personalized Results
- But That’s not what I asked for – Tips for improving SEO relevancy
What do you feel is the most important ingredient for success?