I’m of the opinion that almost everyone on the planet would benefit from SEO training, but I guess that might be a bit of an overstatement. However I don’t think it’s an overstatement that anyone that owns, manages, builds, markets, or updates a website should make the investment and find a way to learn about search engine optimization.
I’m always a bit befuddled when I talk to a website owner or manager and they have no interest in learning about search engine optimization and how to make sure they are doing everything they can to be found in Google.
Nine ten times out of ten when I take a look at their website, there are multiple opportunities for improvement. In many cases they are working with an SEO agency and there are still very common SEO mistakes.
When I’m talking with business owners, I often hear things that make me cringe.
I don’t need SEO training:
- My web designer took care of that when he/she built the website
- My high school son is crazy about computers and so he’s going to build my website for me
- I’m working with an SEO agency and I trust them to do it for me
- I have someone writing content for me, I’m sure they know what they’re doing
- I come up at the top of the results when I search on my business name
- My SEO agency told me I don’t need to bother with social media as long as I’m getting lots of links
- I can’t afford to take the time to learn about SEO and I’m sure it’s too complicated
There are only so many hours in a day and in many cases it makes sense to work with an SEO agency and it might even make sense to have your high school son build your website (although that one is doubtful), however it’s important to know whether or not the people you are entrusting with your most valuable business asset know what they are doing.
Unfortunately SEO is one of those professions where it’s easy to fool people into thinking someone is an expert and they’re not. Based on the number of emails I get on a daily basis offering black hat tactics such as buying links and followers I’m afraid the number of untrustworthy resources is still rather high.
Why is SEO Training Valuable?
- The foundation of your website is like the foundation of your house, if it’s not right you’re on shaky ground – you owe it to yourself to understand how your website structure affects SEO.
- Not all SEO agencies are created equal and it’s important to understand what they are doing and why-you need to know that the agency or consultant you’re working with is doing things the right way so you don’t end up in trouble with the search engines.
- Not all content is good content – content needs to be relevant and well optimized in order for it to be of value to both your visitors and search engines.
- Social media is a great way to promote your website and your business – social signals are also becoming an important factor in search engine optimization.
Who Needs SEO Training?
- Web Designers
- Content creators and publishers
- Business owners
- Webmasters and website managers
- Web Developers
- Ecommerce Marketers
- Social Media Marketers
There are a lot of moving parts when it comes to search engine optimization, but it’s not rocket science. Working with an SEO firm requires an ongoing investment. Acquiring a working knowledge of the techniques and best practices through SEO training will help you make sure you’re getting the most for your money.